Parker Partek Defense is a new hose sleeve which can help prevent injuries from a blown-out hose by containing, and then dissipating, the energy and media within the hose assembly.
There are many ways that people get hurt around hydraulic equipment as a result of a hose blow-out.
Injuries include hot oil burns, slipping on oil spills, bruises, cuts and broken bones from hoses that whip around wildly. The frequency of these types of injuries can be greatly reduced by sound safety and maintenance policies, and by being smart about high-pressure hose routing.
Partek Defense Protective Hose Sleeve
There is a new safety product which can help prevent a blown-off hose from causing injuries – a special protective hose sleeve called the Partek Defense. In the past, hose whip restraint systems did not address the high pressure fluid containment. The Partek Defense hose sleeve not only prevents hose whip, it also prevents hot hydraulic oil from spraying over a large area.
How Partek Defense Hose Sleeve Works
Partek Defense is designed to provide protection to personnel and equipment in the event of a hose burst by containing the energy of the burst. It features a multi-layered construction that contains and then dissipates the energy and media within the hose assembly. It can be applied to any hose application, but is most valuable in industries such as mining, construction, and agriculture where operators are in close proximity to high-pressure hoses. Partek Defense provides burst protection up to 12,000 psi.
Partek Defense is flexible so it does not restrict hose movement and does not limit the hose routing options. It is made from high-strength coated fibers which hold up against ultra-violet light, ozone, and other environmental elements. Partek Defense is approved for use with Parker 43, 70, 71, 73, 77, 78, and 79 Series fittings. It’s available in 50-ft lengths.
Installation Instructions for Partek Defense
- Determine the size of the Partek Defense Sleeve to be used – use the chart below.
- Cut off a length of Partek Defense Sleeve equal to the overall length of your hose assembly.
- Slide the sleeve over the hose assembly.
- Secure the end of the sleeve to the hose fitting shell using a metal band clamp (P/N: FSC), and the FSC Clamp Tool (P/N: FST-711617).
At this point it is not clear if the Partek Defense protects against hose whip if a fitting completely blows off the hose. This question has been posed to Parker Hose Division engineers and will be posted when an answer is received.
|Hose Size ID*||Part Number
||Sleeve Flat ID “A”||Sleeve Round ID “B”|
Other Safety Measures Regarding Hose Blow-Outs
There are also various safety tips posted on the safety of hydraulic systems – here are links to these related, earlier blogs:
- Know when to replace the hose assembly – Preventive maintenance, including replacing hose assemblies close to their service life, goes a long way towards preventing blow-outs in the first place.
- 7 Most Common Crimping Mistakes – Without a doubt, the most common cause of a premature hose failure is incorrect assembly.
- Electrical Properties of Rubber Hose – This is a frequently overlooked aspect of hose selection, but ignoring it has the potential for real disaster.
Available Hose Protection Products
- Partek Defense | Hose Burst Protection
- Partek Wrap | Hose Abrasion Protection
- Partek Sleeve | Internal & External Hose Abrasion Protection
- PolyGuard | Hose Protection For Rugged Operating Conditions
- ParKoil | Low-Cost Protection For Tight Bend Radius
- Spring Guard & Armor Guard | Hose Protection Against Kinking & Abrasion
- Polyguard Strain Reliever | Hose Protection For Kinking
- Firesleeve | Flame Resistant Hose Protection
- Protection Shields | Extends Hose Life With Protection Against Abrasion
- Protective Coils, Sleeves, & Guards Selection Guide | Comprehensive Full List
Posted by Marek Bobik